Apply Today to Join Our Program Team!
Save the Dunes is accepting applications for the position of Program Coordinator, Community Engagement. Interested applicants should email thier resume and cover letter no later than Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 11:59pm Central Time to Office@savedunes.org. Please use the subject line “Program Coordinator, Community Engagement, Application”.
Program Coordinator, Community Engagement (Part-Time)
Save the Dunes Conservation Fund, Inc. (Save the Dunes) is a non-profit conservation organization located in Michigan City, Indiana and serving the three counties of Northwest Indiana. Our mission is to protect and advocate for the Indiana dunes, Lake Michigan, and the surrounding natural areas for the betterment of the environment and the people who live, work, and recreate in Northwest Indiana. At 70-years old, we have the reputation of being the defenders and protectors of the Indiana dunes and Lake Michigan. Much of the organization’s work is focused on our two dunes parks –the Indiana Dunes National Park and the Indiana Dunes State Park. While these parks are technically protected in perpetuity due to their federal and state designations, there are countless stressors, threats, and planning issues that require further vigilance. Save the Dunes works tirelessly to address these ever-changing challenges through our project work in the areas of Conservation, Advocacy, and Community Engagement.
Our team is seeking a part-time Program Coordinator, Community Engagement, position to serve as the point person on our current portfolio of community engagement projects, and to help shape and develop our projects moving forward. Key duties include organizing outreach events both in-person and virtually with the communities of Northwest Indiana, managing the organization’s social media accounts, and distributing a monthly eNewsletter. This position reports directly to the Program Director.
· Serve as the point person on Save the Dunes’ current portfolio of community engagement projects.
· Work with communities of Northwest Indiana to bolster appreciation of the parks, share our work, and increase our network.
· Coordinate and sometimes lead webinars, hikes, lectures, livestreams, and other educational events.
· Represent Save the Dunes at meetings, tabling events, and other outreach opportunities.
· Collaborate across the organization to engage the appropriate staff as necessary to accomplish project goals.
· Design, edit, and solicit articles for monthly eNewsletter, website, press releases, and fact sheets about our work.
· Amplifying our work through the management of our social media accounts.
· Work in collaboration with the Program Director in identifying engagement opportunities and challenges to help develop an organizational strategy around future engagement work.
· Provide clear, persuasive and informed responses to project inquiries or challenges.
· Assist with grant applications, complete grant reports and manage grant budgets as needed.
· Following through on engagement projects as assigned by the Program Director on a wide variety of environmental topics.
· Work nimbly to address emerging and time sensitive engagement opportunities.
· Helping with other duties as assigned by the Program Director or Executive Director, which may include, but not be limited to general office tasks, attending and reporting on meetings, fundraising efforts and networking events.
Compensation and Benefits:
· Hourly Rate: $18.00 - $19.00 to commensurate with experience and qualifications.
· Retirement benefits available after one year of employment.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred in marketing, communications, environmental science, or related field.
· 1-3 years lived or worked experience in project coordination or community engagement preferred.
· Preference for residents of Northwest Indiana or willingness to relocate to the area.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to speak in public with confidence and interact with the public as well as professional partners.
• Strong organizational, administrative, and record-keeping skills.
• High proficiency in the use of social media platforms. Experience managing professional accounts preferred.
• High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other basic computer applications.
• Familiarity with, or willingness to learn, Network for Good and WordPress.
• Basic understanding of Indiana dunes ecology and the environmental challenges of our region preferred.
• Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
• Ability to carry out responsibilities independently to complete projects on-time and with accuracy.
• Ability to identify and resolve issues and conflicts in a timely, calm, and professional manner while responding promptly to organizational needs.
• Experience in grant writing and reporting preferred.
• Willingness to assist the organization with fundraising efforts.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
• This position is Part-Time, requiring 28 hours per week.
• Ability to work primarily at a computer, with some time spent attending regional meetings.
• Typically, hours will be worked within our normal business hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm CST. Flextime is available once training is complete and with the approval of the Program Director.
• Occasional evening and weekend work will be required.
• Hybrid work model available with the option to partially work from home once training is complete.
• Work may involve exposure to outdoor elements, carrying equipment (30 lbs), walking long distances, standing for long periods, and moving in varied outdoor terrain. Accommodations can be made.
• Ascends and descends stairs daily.
· Access to a vehicle or reliable transportation. Valid Driver’s license with good driving record is desirable.
· Proof of vaccination for COVID-19 is required.
· Save the Dunes participates in the E-Verify Program, an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
· In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Save the Dunes will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Save the Dunes does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Save the Dunes is committed to an environment that is inclusive and welcoming. We celebrate the diverse qualities, perspectives, values and experiences of all people.
Email resume and cover letter no later than Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 11:59pm Central Time to Office@savedunes.org.
Please use the subject line “Program Coordinator, Community Engagement, Application”.